A cake that looks like a baseball! Sports! Heh. Made this for a friend’s birthday a few months ago, a small cookies and cream cake, with swiss buttercream frosting (separate post). The cake was pretty moist. Cookies and cream buttercream was good, but I think could be a bit sweeter like a real Oreo. Overall, I thought it was delicious!
- lost the source, oops
- takes about 1 hour plus 4 hours chill-time
- Makes one three-layer 6″ cake
- You need:
- one large bowl, one small bowl
- one spatula, latex gloves for convenience
- 3 large egg whites, at room temperature
- 1/4 c unsalted butter, softened
- 1/4 c vegetable (canola) oil
- 1 c granulated white or raw sugar
- 1 1/2 c all-purpose flour, sifted
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 c milk, preferably whole
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 c crushed oreos (homemade or separated from Nabisco’s)
In a medium or large bowl, whip 3 large egg whites to stiff peaks.
In a large bowl, cream together 1/4 c unsalted butter, 1/4 c vegetable (canola) oil and 1 c granulated white or raw sugar. Stir in 1/2 c milk and 1/2 tsp vanilla extract until well mixed. Then, mix in 1 1/2 c all-purpose flour and 1 1/2 tsp baking powder (at the same time) until just combined.
Fold egg whites into the batter – first mixing in one third, then folding in the rest. Then, gently stir in 1/2 c crushed oreos.
Pour batter into parchment-lined cake pans. Bake for typical time for cake of that size, until a toothpick comes out clean.